...A Little Blog About Everything

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Strawberry Fields and Okazu

      Okazu  A Japanese word meaning a dish to accompany rice.  This has nothing to do with strawberry fields, most would say but to me it does.  I believe that some memories accompany scents.  Growing up I will never forget, endless summers of picking and eating fresh strawberries out of the fields near our house and the smell of delicious Ocazu.  My grandfather, Shinobu, was a second generation strawberry farmer.  Today, I am honored and privileged to be a part of my family’s business that has survived four Generations. 

This is my second year learning the family business.  Boy, did I strawberry shortcake it!  I thought, no problem!  I will have this job down in a year!  The first time I realized I knew nothing about the strawberry business was during my first week of work I asked... “Why are these plants stuck together?”  Little did I know!  They are called runners… they are suppose to be stuck together.   Well…this is my second year and I am still vigorously learning.  There are already bets going around on how long it will take me.  3 years some say… I hope 3 years at the least... Ok, here is a recipe for Ocazu:
Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
Directions
1.     In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until evenly brown; drain excess fat.
2.     Stir in green beans and about 1 cup water. Cover, and cook until beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
3.     Season with sugar and soy sauce, minced garlic and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment